As the ICSB World Conference opens on June 15th at the United Nations in New York, we take a quick look at a topic that is of major interest to entrepreneurs and business researchers alike.
Last year, the United Nations set its global agenda for the next 15 years by adopting a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The purpose of the SDGs is to ensure that global development in the coming years is socially, economically, and environmentally sustainable. These goals were unanimously adopted by the UN’s 193 member states.
17 Goals for Sustainable Development
According to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, “the 17 Sustainable Development Goals are our shared vision of humanity and a social contract between the world’s leaders and the people. They are a to-do list for people and planet, and a blueprint for success.” The goals are:
- End poverty in all its forms everywhere.
- End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning.
- Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
- Ensure access to water and sanitation for all.
- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
- Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all.
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
- Reduce inequality within and among countries.
- Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources.
- Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss.
- Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies.
- Revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.
ICSB 2016 at the United Nations
ICSB 2016 gets its start at United Nations headquarters on Thursday, June 16. Our first conference session will address the role of SMEs in helping the world achieve these SDGs.
ICSB 2016 invites you to join us at the UN and at our subsequent sessions and events at the Stevens Institute of Technology. Register today to secure your seat at the conference.